Canaries (and more) in the coalmine that is Earth.

Margaret Atwood on why we should not assume any bird species will survive without our help:

One more statistic: according to Al Gore, 97% of charitable giving goes to human causes. Of the remaining 3%, half goes to pets. That leaves 1½% devoted to the rest of nature – including the crisis-ridden oceans, the eroding, drying, or flooding land and the shrinking biosphere on which our lives depend. How crazy are we?

I wonder if pet owners could contribute to such causes via their purchases of certain brands of pet products? If it’s working for Working Assets